RadSpace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
k4it0u
The Ultimate Homeskillet Cookie Ever
k4it0u

Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do Empty
PostSubject: Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do   Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Quote :
Thursday, July 24, 2008

(07-24) 03:25 PDT WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) --

A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/07/24/international/i024102D83.DTL
Damn, I didn't even notice that was her name until I read the article fully.
Poor girl. That is pretty embarrassing to have your name be that long and unique.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/k4it0u_n00bz_j00
Bek

Bek

PostSubject: Re: Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do   Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am

Wow, poor girl.

And this

Quote :
Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

WTF?!?!?! Number 16 Bus Shelter was allowed?
Back to top Go down
k4it0u
The Ultimate Homeskillet Cookie Ever
k4it0u

PostSubject: Re: Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do   Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Daaaaaaaaamn, insane!

oAo; Imagine taking the SATs or filling out some kind of form. Weird look moments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/k4it0u_n00bz_j00
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do   Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do
Page 1 of 1